Monday, August 18, 2008

Adventures in Shopping: Old Town Alexandria


Last weekend, Laura and I hit the streets of Old Town Alexandria in search of some great end-of-summer deals. We had a few stores in mind that we had to hit per Daily Candy and Lucky (Shoe Hive, Treat, Hysteria, Tickled Pink) but beyond that we wanted to explore the side streets off of King in search of a hidden gem. To be honest, we were a bit hesitant to go into Diva Designer Consignment & Other Delights (116 S. Pitt St.), but given our good fortune with Legendary Beast two weeks ago despite its questionable exterior, we took a chance and totally got lucky. Diva was having a 65 percent off sale on practically everything in the store, and we had a blast sorting through the racks (and racks, and racks...) of awesomely cheap, used-but-you'd-never-know-it designer duds. I scored a cute Lily Pulitzer skirt embroidered with little watermelons, a polka-dotted Tracy Reese pencil skirt, and an amazing Love Life by Felicia Pappas shift dress with a whimsical tea kettle print and ric rac embellishment. With the discount, all three items came to $64 total! With that sort of deal, I didn't even feel that bad when I couldn't afford a single item in Hysteria (a lovely, gorgeous store, but I won't be going back until my salary goes up or my rent goes down...). I didn't find anything that struck my fancy at Shoe Hive, and although there were some good deals at Treat (Alvin Valley pants for $50!) nothing was exactly what I wanted. Tickled Pink was fun to browse, but again, $70 for an embroided belt is not in my budget. Never mind though, because I am super-thrilled with my Diva purchases. I wore the tea kettle dress today and it put a constant smile on my face throughout my long hours at work (not an easy thing to do). I'll definitely be making a return trip to Old Town (maybe even next weekend...?)

No comments: