Monday, July 28, 2008

I hope my mother doesn't read this post...


...because surely I'd get a stern lecture for using a "smart spending" fashion blog to expound upon the virtues of underwear that costs $18 per pair (and that's just for the thongs). Well mom, I am going to break it to you here and now that I own more than 20 pairs of said underwear, and they are worth every penny. I'm talking about Hanky Pankys, and I'll admit that at one time, I too scoffed at spending my hard-earned dollars on a skimpy piece of fabric that only I (and my significant other, if he was lucky) would get to see. However, after several months of unwavering insistence from a coworker, I finally bought a pair during Nordstrom's half-yearly sale, and I hereby confess: They. Changed. My. Life. So soft, so comfortable, so flattering, so colorful. I'm in love, and its not just a fling. I highly recommend them to every woman (I prefer the low-rise variety), but be warned: Once you start, you can't turn back. Every other pair of underwear you've ever owned will pale in comparison, feeling like a piece of steel wool wedged between your butt cheeks, squeezing even the slightest ounce of fat on your hips and leaving those dreaded elastic marks etched into your skin. The success of Hanky Pankys has spawned numerous knock-offs, but ladies, don't be fooled. The original is best, so don't be tempted by low-cost copycats. So this brings us back to that pesky $18 price tag, and the fact that the whole point of this blog is the pursuit of living fashionably in the District while on a budget. Therefore, the news I am about to share with you may just make you jump out of your computer chair with joy. Yes...wait for it... Nordstrom Rack sells Hanky Pankys for $8.97 a pair (!), more than 50% off the retail price (for those of you that never passed 6th grade math.) As for hitting up the Rack, I don't ever recommend going on a weekend (too high stress, even for the most hard core shoppers), but both local stores (one in Gaithersburg, Maryland and one at Potomac Mills in Virginia) are relatively empty on weekdays. Then, you can go and browse the underwear racks to your heart's content, and usually you'll find a pretty good variety of colors and styles. No need to thank me in advance. Happy shopping!

No comments: